What is smoke or Particulate Matter?Particulate matter — particulates or PM for short — refers to the many types and sizes of particles suspended in the air we breathe to public health are the particles small enough to be inhaled into the deepest parts of the lung. These small particles are known as PM10 (less than 10 microns in diameter) and even finer particles are known as PM2.5 (less than 2.5 microns in diameter). For comparison, a human hair is about 75 microns in diameter.
Particulate matter is a combination of fine solids such as dirt, soil dust, pollens, moulds, ashes, and soot; and aerosols that are formed in the atmosphere from gaseous combustion by-products such as volatile organic compounds, sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides. Particulate matter is unique among atmospheric constituents in that it is not defined on the basis of its chemical composition. It may include a broad range of chemical species, including: elemental and organic carbon compounds; oxides of silicon, aluminium and iron; trace metals; sulphates; nitrates and ammonia. It is further classified as primary (emitted directly into the atmosphere) or secondary (formed in the atmosphere through chemical and physical transformations). The principal gases involved in secondary particulate formation are sulphur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen oxides (NOx), volatile organic carbons (VOCs) and ammonia (NH3). Primary particles are found in both the fine and coarse fractions, whereas secondary particles, such as sulphates and nitrates, are found predominantly in the fine fraction. Both primary and secondary PM can result from either natural or (human anthropogenic sources). Particulate matter air pollution comes from such diverse sources as motor vehicles, wood-burning stoves and fireplaces, construction activity, agriculture, industrial smokestacks, wildfires and other burn activity, and windblown dust from open lands.
- Kenyan, global clean cooking sectors cite new progress in eff...
- USELF boosts Ukraine's renewable energy sector
- Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves announces nearly $3 mill...
- IIED and Hivos set up 'Change Labs' on food and energy
- First of its kind carbon finance loan fund launched to spur c...
- Cookstove designs are failing the poorest communities
- “Taking the Next Step: Africa and the EU are tackling energy...
- From the Bottom Up : How Small Power Producers and Mini-Grids...