Fig.1 Roumdé posters in Ouagadougou, November 2006 (Photo: Edifice, BP58)
Marketing is a tool used for the promotion of goods and services amongst customers. It is a means of developing a relationship with the customer in order to sell your product or service. Whilst marketing is used extensively by commercial companies in order to attract potential users to their product using advertisement, demonstrations, tasters etc. this often has a poor uptake in development sector.
A recent survey carried out by Boiling Point in April 2010 showed that in 20% of organisations who read Boiling Point marketing is not represented at all. Factors which make marketing to clients challenging were highlighted to be a lack of awareness of products by potential customers, a charitable image making a commercial approach difficult; low education of customers; a lack of marketing skills; remoteness of customers and the issue of quality against affordability. These issues highlight some key challenges faced by NGO’s and social enterprises in the field.
Boiling Point 58 gives several examples of organisations that have managed to create effective marketing strategies. One example is the Romunde stove (Fig.1). Marketcreation and effective marketing strategies are essential to successful product dissemination and make up a key component of projects delivery models.
- UNDP: In Nepal, a simple solution brings light to rural commu...
- Ghana News Agency: Women urged to use Clean Cookstoves
- IRENA: Renewable Energy Prospects: United Arab Emirates
- GVEP:Innovative Cookstove Business for urban informal settlem...
- SE4ALL: Kopernik's Wonder Women in eastern Indonesia
- GACC: Tackling Black Carbon Emissions from Inefficient Cookst...
- CAFOD: One Climate, One World campaign
- Climate Solutions Consulting: One stop for all your cookstove...
- Tanzania National Renewable Energy Day 2015
- Vienna Energy Forum 2015, 18-20 June 2015
- German African Energy Forum: 4-5 May, 2015, Hamburg, Germany
- African Utility Week and Clean Power Africa: 12-14 May, 2015,...
- Second United Nations Sustainable Energy for All Forum: 18-22...
- Carbon Expo: The Global Intersection of Climate Finance, Carb...
- Africa Future Energy Forum: 27-28 May 2015, Nairobi, Kenya