This page is under construction. Authors / contributers wanted! Do you have knowledge or experience in this topic? If you do, please consider writing something for this page...
Defining International DevelopmentThere is no generic definition for International development, however the general implication behind International Development is to improve the quality of life for people around the world. International development addresses poverty reduction, climate change, security, gender disparity and governance (University of Birmingham, Department for International Development) through a holistic and multidisciplinary approach to provide services such as healthcare, infrastructure, water and sanitation, energy access and education to those who lack these facilities. The need for technical expertise combined with effective implementation strategies in order to make a long term impact and provide sustainable solutions is essential.
The Issue of Sustainable DevelopmentThe IISD defines sustainable developemnt as:
''"Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It contains within it two key concepts:
- the concept of needs, in particular the essential needs of the world's poor, to which overriding priority should be given; and
- the idea of limitations imposed by the state of technology and social organization on the environment's ability to meet present and future needs."''
Policies and FrameworksExamples of frameworks, policies and strategies to address the issue of International Development on both a global and grass roots level have been trialled. Examples of which can be found below:
- Kenyan, global clean cooking sectors cite new progress in eff...
- USELF boosts Ukraine's renewable energy sector
- Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves announces nearly $3 mill...
- IIED and Hivos set up 'Change Labs' on food and energy
- First of its kind carbon finance loan fund launched to spur c...
- Cookstove designs are failing the poorest communities
- “Taking the Next Step: Africa and the EU are tackling energy...
- From the Bottom Up : How Small Power Producers and Mini-Grids...