The Programme is supporting the decentralisation process in Benin with a specific focus on communal development. A specific component of the programme is addressing the problem of rural electrification.
The Programme is supporting the decentralisation process in Benin with a specific focus on communal development. A specific component of the programme is addressing the problem of rural electrification. Only 3% of the rural households have access to electricity. As electricity is key for both human and economic development, the programme is supporting the Ministry of Energy and water (MEE) and other important actors in the promotion of rural electrification.
One of its interventions is focussing on biomass gasification for combined power and heat generation in decentralised settings (off-grid) as an alternative to grid-extension in remote areas. Considering the huge potential from agricultural waste in Benin (766 MW), it is planned to install one or two small pilot units between 25 kW and 100 kW (to be defined) with mini LV grid.
The objective of the consultancy is to support this intervention in three steps:
1. Study on site selection and technical and economic aspects of combined heat and power biomass gasification installation;
2. Support the procurement procedures for the plant and Low Voltage mini grid;
3. Supervision of the installation of the plant and the grid.
This team leader will be guiding the process for a period of 12 months with a total requirement of up to 6,5 person months
- study: up to 3,5 months,
- procurement: up to1 month,
- supervision of installation: up to 2 months
Additionally, a variety of national consultants are required to support the process in the different steps.
1.For the study:
- 1 socio-economist (> 5 years of experience) for up to 2,5 months
- 3 enumerators (Baccalaureate + work experience) for up to 2 months each
- 1 electrical / energy engineer for up to 2 months
2. For the procurement process:
- 1 electrical / energy engineer for up to 1 month.
3. For the supervision of the installation:
- 1 electrical / energy engineer (“Ingénieur travaux énergéticien”) is required for up to 2 months.
If you are interested in implementing the above project please complete the following document and return it no later than 17.12.2010 to the following e-mail address: vel at gtz.de
To obtain automatic confirmation of receipt of your expression of interest at GTZ, please enter "expression of interest" and the contract no. in the subject line when returning this form.
The evaluation of the expressions of interest is expected to be completed by 07.01.1011.
If we are unable to consider you, we shall send you brief notification to this end.