Added: Mon 19 of Oct., 2009 10:58 GMT
World Challenge 2009: Five finalists addressing household energy - Vote now!
Five finalists for the BBC World Challenge 2009 address issues of household energy. You have until 13 November to cast your vote and raise the profile of household energy initiatives, some of which are by HEDON members.
About World ChallengeNow in its fifth year, World Challenge 09 is a global competition aimed at finding projects or small businesses from around the world that have shown enterprise and innovation at a grass roots level. World Challenge 09 is brought to you by BBC World News and Newsweek, in association with Shell, and is about championing and rewarding projects and business which really make a difference.
"Our aim In World Challenge is briefly to bring stories of modest scale sustainable enterprise to the screens. Every year has thrown up big surprises. The diverse ways that ordinary people go about making a living without taxing the Earth's resources is uplifting." - Robert Lamb - Producer
Household Energy Finalists
1. India: Solar SistersThese Barefoot Solar Engineers are bringing solar power to Africa’s countryside, lighting up the bush.
“They come as women, and they go back as tigers – they are so confident – oozing with confidence” - Bunker Roy, Barefoot College
Vote now: http://www.theworldchallenge.co.uk/2009-finalists-project01.php
2. Kenya: Fuel CellA prison in Kenya is using inmate’s waste to power the kitchens and heating, reducing energy costs and improving the health of the prisoners.
“Since we got Biogas there’s been a difference – there’s plenty of heat, but there’s no the smoke that there was before” - Prisoner, Meru Prison
Vote now: http://www.theworldchallenge.co.uk/2009-finalists-project03.php
3. The Democratic Republic of Congo: Jiko RescueThe endangered Mountain Gorilla population is getting a helping hand from a fuel-efficient ‘Jiko’ stove.
“Charcoal is a commodity that everybody needs, especially poor households, because there’s nothing else, and unfortunately 90% of Charcoal being used in Goma and Rwanda comes from Virunga National Park” - Emmanuel de Merode, Virunga National Park
Vote now: http://www.theworldchallenge.co.uk/2009-finalists-project04.php
4. Sri Lanka: A bright ideaOne man’s mission to stop the horrific, and totally avoidable, injuries caused by unsafe kerosene lamps in Sri Lanka.
“If I win the World Challenge I can make and distribute 40,000 of these lamps, protecting over 80,000 people from these horrific burn injuries” - Dr Wijaya Godakumbura, Safe Bottle Lamp Project
Vote now: http://www.theworldchallenge.co.uk/2009-finalists-project10.php
5. Israel - Palestine: Off Grid AidTwo Israeli physicists are helping Palestinian villages in the West Bank generate their own cheap renewable energy.
“The need was obvious – every household you go into, every person you meet, the need cries out to you“ - Elad Orian, Comet-ME
Vote now: http://www.theworldchallenge.co.uk/2009-finalists-project11.php
Voting ends 13 November 2009The finalists of World Challenge 09 will be profiled on BBC World News in six 30 minute programmes. Voting will close at midnight (GMT) on 13th November 2009.
Voting is limited to one vote per person.
Winners announced 5 December 2009The winner of the World Challenge 2009 will receive a grant of $20,000.
The Winner and two runners up of World Challenge 09 will be announced in an awards ceremony held at The Hague, in the Netherlands. The awards ceremony will be broadcast on 5th December 2009 on BBC World News and announced on the website on the same day and profiled in Newsweek magazine in the 21st Dec issue which will be on sale on 14th Dec 2009
- Worldwatch Institute: Harnessing the Dominican Republic's sus...
- Practical Action: 50th anniversary event, hosted by The Princ...
- Burn: Kenyan cookstove manufacturer makes one sale every five...
- World Bank: Agreement with Bangledesh to help 1.1 million rur...
- IIED: New paper on delivering sustainable energy access in lo...
- Low Emissions Development Strategies Global Partnership: Ener...
- UNDP: New EnergyPlus Guidelines to support Sustainable Energy...
- The World Bank: New report finds world progressing on sustain...
- Capacity building and experience sharing for enhancing sustai...
- Ashden Awards: 11 June 2015, London, UK
- The Asia Clean Energy Forum: 15-19 June 2015, Manila, Philipp...
- Global LEAP Networking Event: 31 July- 1 August 2015, Dhaka,...
- Power and Energy Africa: 27-29 August 2015, Dar-es-Salaam, Ta...
- Clean Cooking Forum: 10-13 November 2015, Acra, Ghana
- Off-Grid Experts Workshop: 25-26 September 2015, Stadthalle M...
- SEED Africa Symposium 2015: 9-10 September 2015, Nairobi, Kenya