Added: Fri 17 of July, 2009 09:55 GMT
USAID information resources available on Improved cookstoves & Indoor Air Pollution
News feed now available providing regular updates, news and information on issues pertaining to indoor air pollution along with the latest information on the commercialization of improved cookstoves in urban slums of Northwest Bangladesh.
Commercialization of Improved Cookstoves for Reduced Indoor Air Pollution in Urban Slums of Northwest BangladeshCommercialization of Improved Cookstoves in Urban Slums of Northwest Bangladesh, May 2009. (full-text, pdf, 2.86MB) USAID; Winrock
Beginning in 2003, the energy team of USAID's Bureau for Economic Growth, Agriculture, and Trade, and the environmental health team of the Bureau for Global Health jointly supported a cooperative agreement with Winrock International to develop models to reduce indoor air pollution by combining fuel-efficient cooking technologies with behavior change messages and market-based distribution mechanisms. Winrock developed two project models: a rural model piloted in the highlands of Peru for indigenous communities, and a peri-urban model piloted in Bangladesh for poor households.
The objective of the pilot project was to reduce indoor air pollution and fuel consumption via the dissemination and commercialization of efficient cookstoves among peri-urban communities through an integrated and sustainable household energy intervention. The project aimed to establish a sustainable market for improved and appropriate stoves to avoid the need for subsidies, either current or future.
Three models of fuel-efficient cookstoves, each significantly less polluting than traditional stoves, were selected and promoted in this project. Winrock coupled product promotion with a multi-faceted communication campaign to raise awareness about the risks of indoor smoke and the benefits of behavior change and using improved stoves to reduce IAP exposure. The project team worked with existing local government institutions and health networks to disseminate behavior change messages, and teamed up with local entrepreneurs to disseminate stoves commercially. The project has strong potential for use as a model for incorporating IAP into child survival and health programming activities, particularly those implemented by donor agencies such as the USAID/Bangladesh Mission.
Indoor Air Pollution Updateshttp://iapnews.wordpress.com
The purpose of this news feed is to provide news, information and resources on indoor air pollution issues in developing countries. We hope this service will promote interest and create awareness about the health and other issues pertaining to indoor air pollution in developing countries. IAP Updates is maintained by the Environmental Health at USAID knowledge management activity. We welcome comments and suggestions and invite contributions about your projects and publications on indoor air pollution.
For more updates
- Environmental Health at USAID: http://www.ehproject.org
- Indoor Air Pollution Updates: http://iapnews.wordpress.com
- Sanitation Updates: http://sanitationupdates.wordpress.com
- Urban Health Updates: http://urbanhealthupdates.wordpress.com
- Cholera Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/cholera-control
- Household Water Treatment Google Group:http://groups.google.com/group/household-water-treatment
- UNDP: New EnergyPlus Guidelines to support Sustainable Energy...
- The World Bank: New report finds world progressing on sustain...
- LEDS Working Group: New Energy Toolkit
- GACC: New study finds that women spend 374 hours each year co...
- Practical Action: New campaign will accelerate energy access ...
- WHO: World Health Assembly closes, passing resolutions on air...
- UNEP: Alleviating energy poverty in Haiti
- UNDP: In Nepal, a simple solution brings light to rural commu...
- Tanzania National Renewable Energy Day 2015
- Vienna Energy Forum 2015, 18-20 June 2015
- Capacity building and experience sharing for enhancing sustai...
- Ashden Awards: 11 June 2015, London, UK
- The Asia Clean Energy Forum: 15-19 June 2015, Manila, Philipp...
- Global LEAP Networking Event: 31 July- 1 August 2015, Dhaka,...
- Power and Energy Africa: 27-29 August 2015, Dar-es-Salaam, Ta...
- German African Energy Forum: 4-5 May, 2015, Hamburg, Germany