Added: Fri 17 of July, 2009 09:55 GMT
USAID information resources available on Improved cookstoves & Indoor Air Pollution
News feed now available providing regular updates, news and information on issues pertaining to indoor air pollution along with the latest information on the commercialization of improved cookstoves in urban slums of Northwest Bangladesh.
Commercialization of Improved Cookstoves for Reduced Indoor Air Pollution in Urban Slums of Northwest BangladeshCommercialization of Improved Cookstoves in Urban Slums of Northwest Bangladesh, May 2009. (full-text, pdf, 2.86MB) USAID; Winrock
Beginning in 2003, the energy team of USAID's Bureau for Economic Growth, Agriculture, and Trade, and the environmental health team of the Bureau for Global Health jointly supported a cooperative agreement with Winrock International to develop models to reduce indoor air pollution by combining fuel-efficient cooking technologies with behavior change messages and market-based distribution mechanisms. Winrock developed two project models: a rural model piloted in the highlands of Peru for indigenous communities, and a peri-urban model piloted in Bangladesh for poor households.
The objective of the pilot project was to reduce indoor air pollution and fuel consumption via the dissemination and commercialization of efficient cookstoves among peri-urban communities through an integrated and sustainable household energy intervention. The project aimed to establish a sustainable market for improved and appropriate stoves to avoid the need for subsidies, either current or future.
Three models of fuel-efficient cookstoves, each significantly less polluting than traditional stoves, were selected and promoted in this project. Winrock coupled product promotion with a multi-faceted communication campaign to raise awareness about the risks of indoor smoke and the benefits of behavior change and using improved stoves to reduce IAP exposure. The project team worked with existing local government institutions and health networks to disseminate behavior change messages, and teamed up with local entrepreneurs to disseminate stoves commercially. The project has strong potential for use as a model for incorporating IAP into child survival and health programming activities, particularly those implemented by donor agencies such as the USAID/Bangladesh Mission.
Indoor Air Pollution Updateshttp://iapnews.wordpress.com
The purpose of this news feed is to provide news, information and resources on indoor air pollution issues in developing countries. We hope this service will promote interest and create awareness about the health and other issues pertaining to indoor air pollution in developing countries. IAP Updates is maintained by the Environmental Health at USAID knowledge management activity. We welcome comments and suggestions and invite contributions about your projects and publications on indoor air pollution.
For more updates
- Environmental Health at USAID: http://www.ehproject.org
- Indoor Air Pollution Updates: http://iapnews.wordpress.com
- Sanitation Updates: http://sanitationupdates.wordpress.com
- Urban Health Updates: http://urbanhealthupdates.wordpress.com
- Cholera Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/cholera-control
- Household Water Treatment Google Group:http://groups.google.com/group/household-water-treatment
- CEEW: New report on 'Clean, Affordable and Sustainable Cookin...
- Queen Mary, University of London: Cheap Solar Cells made from...
- SciDev.Net: Solar Powered Water ATMS in India
- IRENA and ADFD: New Project Loans for Renewable Energy in Rur...
- World Bank: Regional Solar Market Initiative launched at Powe...
- GosolarAfrica: $2million capital to install stand-alone roof ...
- GVEP: Jiko Smart Improved Cookstoves
- Knowledge Point: Energy Knowledge Partnership
- International ARE Energy Access Workshop: 5 March 2015, Madri...
- GACC and ENERGIA NGO CSW Parallel Event: 9 March 2015, New Yo...
- GACC, ENERGIA and ICRW Access to Energy as a Key Driver of Ge...
- ANSI Standards and the Global Supply Chain Dialogue: 12 March...
- ARE International Invest'€lec Salon: 10-13 March 2015, Yaound...
- Powering East Africa: 25-27 March 2015, Nairobi, Kenya
- Tanzania National Renewable Energy Day 2015