< Go back | Stoves list | Add Stove
View Stove< Go back | Stoves list | Add Stove
Turbo wood-gas stove [read more]
Stove informationModel: Improved
Type of stove: Gasifier
Fuel: Agri residue
Designer: Thomas Reed
Construction method: It consists of an inverted down-draught gasifier plus a burner to mix the air and gas and burn cleanly. It uses a 3W blower to generate about 0.7 mm wg pressure, equivalent to the draught available from a 10m chimney.
The stove can be started and operated indoors with no exhaust fans and no odour of burning wood. We have taken the stove to India and the Philippines and demonstrated the turbo stove in small villages and on NGO desks. There was a great deal of interest.
The laboratory model of the stove was made from two scrap metal cans, but stoves can easily be constructed from a wide variety of materials by local craftsmen. While currently it uses a 12V, 3W blower, the power could come from bellows, wind-up generators, photovoltaic cells etc.
DistributionAvailability: Under development
Start date: Wed 17 of Nov., 2010
PerformanceEfficiency testing method and who did it: 500 ml of water was place on the pot supports, A thermocouple was inserted 7 cm below the top of the bed. The water boiled in 145 seconds. The fuel-holder was immediately removed from the burner chamber and sealed to exclude the air. The resulting charcoal weighed 37.7 g, a yield of 24.5%. The water which had not boiled away was measured at 299 ml, so 201 ml boiled away.
Emission testing method and who did it: Wood-gas stoves have low emissions compared to wood stoves and can be operated indoors with no smell. In the experiment above, a Nighthawk CO meter was mounted 38 cm directly over the top of the burner and over the pot. It registered about 60 ppm carbon monoxide (CO) during the run, but the average CO in the room was probably less than 10 ppm CO. More work on measuring and improving emissions needs to be done.
Emissions: CO: 10 ppm
Contact detailsAddress: Thomas B. Reed
- Worldwatch Institute: Harnessing the Dominican Republic's sus...
- Practical Action: 50th anniversary event, hosted by The Princ...
- Burn: Kenyan cookstove manufacturer makes one sale every five...
- World Bank: Agreement with Bangledesh to help 1.1 million rur...
- IIED: New paper on delivering sustainable energy access in lo...
- Low Emissions Development Strategies Global Partnership: Ener...
- UNEP: Alleviating energy poverty in Haiti
- UNDP: In Nepal, a simple solution brings light to rural commu...
- Clean Cooking Forum: 10-13 November 2015, Acra, Ghana
- Off-Grid Experts Workshop: 25-26 September 2015, Stadthalle M...
- SEED Africa Symposium 2015: 9-10 September 2015, Nairobi, Kenya
- International Conference on Energy Efficiency in Domestic App...
- India Off-Grid Energy Summit: 19-20 August 2015, New Delhi, I...
- Myanmar Green Energy Summit 2015: 17-18 August 2015, Yangon, ...
- German African Energy Forum: 4-5 May, 2015, Hamburg, Germany
- African Utility Week and Clean Power Africa: 12-14 May, 2015,...