View Project< Go back | Projects list | Add project
Coal Briquette Pilot Plant Project [read more]
In 1990 a FAO Survey of Zambia revealed that 39% of Zambia's total land area is covered with forests, out of which 1% or 3,300 Km squared has been disappearing every year. At this rate, Zambian forests will be depleted within 30 to 40 years, if measures are not taken to curb deforestation. This situation is mainly attributed to the dependence of 90% of Zambians on wood fuels as a household energy source. According to the Department of Energy (DoE) 1974-1996 Energy Statistics Bulletin, 76% of energy sources in Zambia are wood fuels and 83% of urban households use charcoal as an energy source as opposed to 24% in the rural communities. The forecast wood fuel consumption is one million tonnes per year by the year 2000; this is compounded by the relatively high population growth rate of 3% per annum and urbanisation rate of 4% per year. One convenient household energy source that can replace wood fuel is electricity. However, large investments would be required for the distribution infrastructure. In addition, most Zambians cannot afford the high connection costs and the high cots of electrical cooking appliances.
Organization: National Institute for Scientific and Industrial Research, Zambia
Location, continent: Africa
Location, country: Zambia
Contact detailsProject contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Airport Road, Lusaka
PO Box 310158
FundingMain funding organization: Japanese International Cooperation Agency
Further informationSector: International development
Technology: Briquettes And Pellets
Keywords CoalBriquettes Zambia
Click here to read more
< Go back | Projects list | Add project
- First African Waste-to-Ethanol Company recognized by Mentor C...
- 2014 Ashden Award Winners
- Power for All – The Energy Access Imperative
- Deutsche Bank supports The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
- Practical Action launches the Poor People’s Energy Outlook (P...
- IISD Reporting Services releases a summary of the 13th sessio...
- Sustainable Energy for All's Third Annual Practitioner Networ...
- REEEP participates in special event on stakeholder engagement...