View Project< Go back | Projects list | Add project
Biomass Based Electricity Production: TANWAT Case Study, Tanzania [read more]
TANWAT was founded in 1949, when the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC) took responsibility for a forest development project set up two years earlier by the Forest, Land Timber and Railways Company, located in the Southern Highlands of Tanzania with 15,000 hectares of private forest business.
Production of tannin from wattle was the major source of revenue for the business until late 1960's when a decline in demand for leather goods, brought about by availability of cheaper synthetic alternatives. This resulted in an initiative aimed at exploring new global forestry product opportunities, reducing reliance on tannin products and creating prospects for increased revenue on a long-term basis. The Tanganyika Wattle Company is a fully owned subsidiary of CDC capital fund.
Organization: Commonwealth Development Corporation
Location, continent: Africa
Location, country: Tanzania
Contact detailsNo contact detail available
FundingMain funding organization: Commonwealth Development Corporation
Further informationSector: International development
Keywords Biofuels Electircity Tanzania
Click here to read more
< Go back | Projects list | Add project
- UNDP: In Nepal, a simple solution brings light to rural commu...
- Ghana News Agency: Women urged to use Clean Cookstoves
- IRENA: Renewable Energy Prospects: United Arab Emirates
- GVEP:Innovative Cookstove Business for urban informal settlem...
- SE4ALL: Kopernik's Wonder Women in eastern Indonesia
- GACC: Tackling Black Carbon Emissions from Inefficient Cookst...
- CAFOD: One Climate, One World campaign
- Climate Solutions Consulting: One stop for all your cookstove...
- Tanzania National Renewable Energy Day 2015
- Vienna Energy Forum 2015, 18-20 June 2015
- German African Energy Forum: 4-5 May, 2015, Hamburg, Germany
- African Utility Week and Clean Power Africa: 12-14 May, 2015,...
- Second United Nations Sustainable Energy for All Forum: 18-22...
- Carbon Expo: The Global Intersection of Climate Finance, Carb...
- Africa Future Energy Forum: 27-28 May 2015, Nairobi, Kenya