View Project< Go back | Projects list | Add project
The UK Biochar Research Centre (UKBRC)
The UK Biochar Research Centre (UKBRC) has been initiated by Prof. Stuart Haszeldine at the University of Edinburgh, with "Science and Innovation" funding from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). Key posts leading research in soil science, pyrolysis engineering, and socio-economics & policy have been filled, and recruitment of associated post-docs and PhD students begins shortly. The objective of UKBRC is to generate scientific evidence that improves understanding of biochar function, addresses key uncertainties, informs policy and regulation, and underpin commercial and community initiatives around biochar. Around these core activities and with two initial partners - Rothamsted Research and Newcastle University - UKBRC seeks to build an expanding research programme, engage other research groups nationally and internationally, and develop links with similar programmes in other countries. The remit of UKBRC's activity will be guided by a diverse UK stakeholder group, and an international scientific review panel.
The UKBRC had a launch event in April 2009 which was a workshop primarily for the UK research community in which drivers for, and risks and barriers to the adoption of, pyrolysis-biochar were debated and research priorities discussed. Over 100 delegates attended the meeting from across the UK, with some international participation.
Organization: University of Edinburgh
Location, continent: Global
Start: Sun 01 of Aug., 2010 End: Sat 01 of Aug., 2015
Contact detailsMain reference person: Sarah Carter
FundingMain funding organization: Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Further informationSector: Finance
< Go back | Projects list | Add project
- REEEP participates in special event on stakeholder engagement...
- Over $600,000 released to improve productivity of Senegalese ...
- Renewable energy powers rural Nepal into the future
- Pioneers of low-carbon, climate-resilient development share p...
- Caribbean biogas company to provide energy from waste to hous...
- ESMAP develops Renewable Energy Project Resource Center with ...
- Kenya’s first Modern Biomass Jiko Factory
- Kenyan, global clean cooking sectors cite new progress in eff...