Accepted: Mon 27 of Sep., 2010
In April 2010, a Berkeley-based team visited Haiti on a fact-finding mission funded by Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and coordinated through the Darfur Stoves Project and its parent organisation, Technology Innovation for Sustainable Societies. Team members met with potential field partners, observed cooking practices, and collected user feedback on several stove models. The team encountered a high level of interest in cookstove projects, in part due to the outpouring of humanitarian aid and increased attention to economic and social development in Haiti in the wake of the January earthquake. However, one of the key findings of the trip was that because most aid organisations are still focused on immediate relief efforts, there is room to improve the coordination of stove dissemination activities, increase information sharing between interested parties and provide an independent assessment of the efficiency and cultural appropriateness of the stoves currently being considered for distribution in Haiti. There remain additional issues to be investigated in the medium to long term related to fuel source, as charcoal use has been implicated in Haiti’s deforestation problem.
Click here to read more
Tags: Haiti Collaboration Relief LongTermDevelopmentPlans StoveDissemination Markets
Heating Replicability And Upscaling Health
America North Haiti
< Go back | Issue 59 | Boiling Point Main Page | Issues Archive | Articles Archive | Submit a paper
- Tanzania To Use More Natural Gas And Coal To Combat Energy Po...
- IDB launches new Energy Innovation Centre website and interac...
- The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund announces third round of...
- ICCG Competition: Best Climate Practices for Energy Poverty A...
- New GSI and IISD Report: Power, Gender and Fossil-fuel Subsid...
- First African Waste-to-Ethanol Company recognized by Mentor C...
- 2014 Ashden Award Winners
- Power for All – The Energy Access Imperative
- PV Project Development Africa 2014
- The International “Progress in Biogas PIB III" Conference
- Bioenergy from Forest Conference
- Microgrid Deployment Workshop: Implementing Grid-Tied, Remote...
- Alliance for Rural Electrification 'Energy Access' Seminar
- MENA Clean Energy Forum 2014
- The Adoption Gap: design, development and diffusion of househ...