by Samer Abdelnour
Journal section: Theme Articles
Download article in Pdf format
Accepted: Wed 22 of Sep., 2010
In response to increasing attacks on displaced women and girls when collecting fuelwood, advocacy and development organisations began to promote fuel-efficient stoves (FES) as a means to reduce the need for fuel and hence the risk of rape. Although it became clear that the promotion of stoves did little to reduce GBV, the language of sexual violence continues to be associated with efficient stoves for Darfuris. The unsuccessful promotion of FES as a means to reduce rape risk is not without its consequences for both beneficiaries and stove promoters. Nor is it without its history. Ironically, during the past four decades efficient stoves have been promoted as a solution to multiple crises in Sudan. This article presents a brief history of efficient stoves in Sudan and most recently Darfur, and the crises they were reported to resolve. Themes and implications are drawn and cautions presented when promoting stoves as a means to address complex social and environmental challenges, for conflict and relief contexts, or as a carbon offset tool.
Click here to read more
Tags: GenderBasedViolence FuelEfficientStove NonGovernmentalOrganisations HumanitarianCrisis Sudan Darfur
< Go back | Issue 59 | Boiling Point Main Page | Issues Archive | Articles Archive | Submit a paper
- UNEP: Alleviating energy poverty in Haiti
- UNDP: In Nepal, a simple solution brings light to rural commu...
- Ghana News Agency: Women urged to use Clean Cookstoves
- IRENA: Renewable Energy Prospects: United Arab Emirates
- GVEP:Innovative Cookstove Business for urban informal settlem...
- SE4ALL: Kopernik's Wonder Women in eastern Indonesia
- GACC: Tackling Black Carbon Emissions from Inefficient Cookst...
- GIZ-HERA: New Biomass Energy Sector Planning Guide
- Clean Cooking Forum: 10-13 November 2015, Acra, Ghana
- Off-Grid Experts Workshop: 25-26 September 2015, Stadthalle M...
- SEED Africa Symposium 2015: 9-10 September 2015, Nairobi, Kenya
- International Conference on Energy Efficiency in Domestic App...
- India Off-Grid Energy Summit: 19-20 August 2015, New Delhi, I...
- Myanmar Green Energy Summit 2015: 17-18 August 2015, Yangon, ...
- German African Energy Forum: 4-5 May, 2015, Hamburg, Germany
- African Utility Week and Clean Power Africa: 12-14 May, 2015,...