How to make a food warmer / fireless cooker (hot box)
Pictures and Instructions from IFSP, Malawi
1: harvest the banana leaves
2: banana leaves
3: start padding the basket
4: pad the bottom of the basket
5: pad the sides of the basket
6: leave a hole in the middle to fit the pot
7: cover with a clean cloth
8: tug the cloth in all around the sides
9: make the cushion using another cloth
10: fold the leaves to the size of the basket
11: tie the cloth with a knot to make a cushion, no banana leaves should stick out
12: cook soaked beans for 15 minutes only on the fire (beans must be soaked over night)
13: add the cut onions and tomatoes and salt
14: put into the food warmer = fireless cooker
15: cover with the cushion and leave for 3 hours: the beans will be cooked and ready to serve!
16: cook rice for only 2 minutes on the fire and leave in food warmer for 30 minutes and it will be ready (use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice)
All pictures were taken by Christa Roth, then Advisor for Food Processing and Biomass Energy Conservation to the Integrated Food Security Programme (IFSP), Mulanje, Malawi. The IFSP programme was commissioned by the German Ministry of Economic Co-operation and Development, later by the European Union and implemented by the German Technical Co-operation (GTZ). IFSP started 1996 and was operating in 185 villages in Mulanje District in south-eastern Malawi until 2004. Since June 1999, it had been co-operating with ProBEC (Programme for Biomass Energy Conservation in Southern Africa) and was transformed into a regional training centre for ProBEC in 2005, taking the experiences from Mulanje to the entire region, including the neighbouring countries.
More than 150 stove producer groups were trained in Malawi alone. The stove design was originally advised by expertise from ITDG (now Practical Action) in Kisumu, Kenya. The training of producers and awareness campaigns were carried out mostly by various implementation partners countrywide.
ContributorsFor any further inquiries please don't hesitate to contact the authors. We are happy to share our experiences.
Christa Roth and Christoph Messinger, now based in Eschborn, Germany. email: email@example.com
- UNDP: New EnergyPlus Guidelines to support Sustainable Energy...
- The World Bank: New report finds world progressing on sustain...
- LEDS Working Group: New Energy Toolkit
- GACC: New study finds that women spend 374 hours each year co...
- Practical Action: New campaign will accelerate energy access ...
- WHO: World Health Assembly closes, passing resolutions on air...
- UNEP: Alleviating energy poverty in Haiti
- UNDP: In Nepal, a simple solution brings light to rural commu...
- Capacity building and experience sharing for enhancing sustai...
- Ashden Awards: 11 June 2015, London, UK
- The Asia Clean Energy Forum: 15-19 June 2015, Manila, Philipp...
- Global LEAP Networking Event: 31 July- 1 August 2015, Dhaka,...
- Power and Energy Africa: 27-29 August 2015, Dar-es-Salaam, Ta...
- German African Energy Forum: 4-5 May, 2015, Hamburg, Germany
- African Utility Week and Clean Power Africa: 12-14 May, 2015,...
- Second United Nations Sustainable Energy for All Forum: 18-22...