How to make a food warmer / fireless cooker (hot box)
Pictures and Instructions from IFSP, Malawi
1: harvest the banana leaves
2: banana leaves
3: start padding the basket
4: pad the bottom of the basket
5: pad the sides of the basket
6: leave a hole in the middle to fit the pot
7: cover with a clean cloth
8: tug the cloth in all around the sides
9: make the cushion using another cloth
10: fold the leaves to the size of the basket
11: tie the cloth with a knot to make a cushion, no banana leaves should stick out
12: cook soaked beans for 15 minutes only on the fire (beans must be soaked over night)
13: add the cut onions and tomatoes and salt
14: put into the food warmer = fireless cooker
15: cover with the cushion and leave for 3 hours: the beans will be cooked and ready to serve!
16: cook rice for only 2 minutes on the fire and leave in food warmer for 30 minutes and it will be ready (use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice)
All pictures were taken by Christa Roth, then Advisor for Food Processing and Biomass Energy Conservation to the Integrated Food Security Programme (IFSP), Mulanje, Malawi. The IFSP programme was commissioned by the German Ministry of Economic Co-operation and Development, later by the European Union and implemented by the German Technical Co-operation (GTZ). IFSP started 1996 and was operating in 185 villages in Mulanje District in south-eastern Malawi until 2004. Since June 1999, it had been co-operating with ProBEC (Programme for Biomass Energy Conservation in Southern Africa) and was transformed into a regional training centre for ProBEC in 2005, taking the experiences from Mulanje to the entire region, including the neighbouring countries.
More than 150 stove producer groups were trained in Malawi alone. The stove design was originally advised by expertise from ITDG (now Practical Action) in Kisumu, Kenya. The training of producers and awareness campaigns were carried out mostly by various implementation partners countrywide.
ContributorsFor any further inquiries please don't hesitate to contact the authors. We are happy to share our experiences.
Christa Roth and Christoph Messinger, now based in Eschborn, Germany. email: email@example.com
- Worldwatch Institute: Harnessing the Dominican Republic's sus...
- Practical Action: 50th anniversary event, hosted by The Princ...
- Burn: Kenyan cookstove manufacturer makes one sale every five...
- World Bank: Agreement with Bangledesh to help 1.1 million rur...
- IIED: New paper on delivering sustainable energy access in lo...
- Low Emissions Development Strategies Global Partnership: Ener...
- UNEP: Alleviating energy poverty in Haiti
- UNDP: In Nepal, a simple solution brings light to rural commu...
- Clean Cooking Forum: 10-13 November 2015, Acra, Ghana
- Off-Grid Experts Workshop: 25-26 September 2015, Stadthalle M...
- SEED Africa Symposium 2015: 9-10 September 2015, Nairobi, Kenya
- International Conference on Energy Efficiency in Domestic App...
- India Off-Grid Energy Summit: 19-20 August 2015, New Delhi, I...
- Myanmar Green Energy Summit 2015: 17-18 August 2015, Yangon, ...
- German African Energy Forum: 4-5 May, 2015, Hamburg, Germany
- African Utility Week and Clean Power Africa: 12-14 May, 2015,...