European Cookstove Implementers GroupSIGs | ECIG | Protected Area | Forum
This is a private access group for discussions of the European Cookstove Implementers Group.
AboutIn October 2011, a group of eight major European cookstove implementers met at the GIZ headquarters in Eschborn. The initiative, spearheaded by GIZ and Practical Action, was to identify areas of work where co-ordinated action could lead to greater impacts on poverty alleviation through improved energy access. This group wishes to represent all European organisations, and identify where they could work together on a global stage to best advantage – for example, in seeking European funding. The group endorsed the GACC’s aim of getting an additional 100 million households using efficient and clean-burning cookstoves and clean cooking fuels by 2020 through a range of activities including:
Implementation and Research
- Involving those living in poverty, and responding to their aspirations
- Identifying and implementing appropriate household cooking solutions
- Promoting more fuel-efficient and cleaner technologies
- Promoting a shift towards cleaner and more efficient modern fuels
- Encouraging bilateral and multilateral donors to make funding available
- Instigating alternative financial mechanisms for scaling up initiatives
Awareness-raising and Capacity Building
- Addressing the lack of information among affected households
- Integrating household energy information into formal education curricula
- Improving data collection on supply, consumption, user perceptions, health and social impacts
Policy and Regulation
- Encouraging developing countries to review their relevant national policies
- Encouraging policy-makers to prioritise access to cooking energy
- Supporting national partners to help develop regulatory frameworks
The group statement tendered a request to the EU to put access to improved household energy higher on their agenda through increasing the allocation of EU Energy Access funds into transforming the cooking energy sector (read the publication compiled by HEDON).
NoteIf you are a European cookstoves implementer and would like to include your work in this document, please contact us directly for a template and further information. If you belong to a different region of the world and would like a similar section on the HEDON site, please contact us.
MembersThe European Cookstove Implementers Group consists of Ashden, BSH, ENERGIA, Geres, GIZ, GVEP International, HEDON Household Energy Network, Practical Action, Shell Foundation, and SNV.
Last edited by Christopher Hughes
Page last modified on Wednesday 11 of January, 2012 13:30:24 GMT. @HEDON: EHXB
- Worldwatch Institute: Harnessing the Dominican Republic's sus...
- Practical Action: 50th anniversary event, hosted by The Princ...
- Burn: Kenyan cookstove manufacturer makes one sale every five...
- World Bank: Agreement with Bangledesh to help 1.1 million rur...
- IIED: New paper on delivering sustainable energy access in lo...
- Low Emissions Development Strategies Global Partnership: Ener...
- UNDP: New EnergyPlus Guidelines to support Sustainable Energy...
- The World Bank: New report finds world progressing on sustain...
- Capacity building and experience sharing for enhancing sustai...
- Ashden Awards: 11 June 2015, London, UK
- The Asia Clean Energy Forum: 15-19 June 2015, Manila, Philipp...
- Global LEAP Networking Event: 31 July- 1 August 2015, Dhaka,...
- Power and Energy Africa: 27-29 August 2015, Dar-es-Salaam, Ta...
- Clean Cooking Forum: 10-13 November 2015, Acra, Ghana
- Off-Grid Experts Workshop: 25-26 September 2015, Stadthalle M...
- SEED Africa Symposium 2015: 9-10 September 2015, Nairobi, Kenya