CleanAirSIGBack to SIGs | CleanAirSIG Forum
Cooking, lighting, smoke and pollution. Established in April 2007, CleanAirSIG connects all those engaged in indoor air quality and household energy in developing countries.
For step-by-step instructions on how to participate in the forums, visit our help pages?.
Conference July 2007
"Taking ACTION to rid the world of Indoor Air Pollution"As part of the launch of the CleanAirSIG, HEDON and Practical Action? held a two-week online conference on kitchen smoke alleviation.
The topics covered included:
- Community projects & Integrated programmes
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Technology development, commercialisation & enterprise
- Policy action
- Knowledge sharing and networking
- What are the next steps?
This conference is an output from a project ‘ Researching pathways to scaling up sustainable and effective kitchen smoke alleviation’ funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID-old?) to whom we express our thanks. The views expressed are not necessarily those of the DFID. CleanAirSIG is made possible with the kind support of the Shell Foundation? (www.shellfoundation.org).
What is an e-conference?An e-conference is one which will be held online via the internet (without any travelling or meeting face to face). While a physical meeting is certainly to be preferred, the online format allows for greater flexibility, much lower costs, and wider involvement of stakeholders. Another advantage is that people can 'attend' the conference while continuing their normal work, dedicating an hour or two to the conference early morning or each evening for example. Our e-conference took place by email, supported by papers and other documentation to be made available on our website. After the conference, proceedings were prepared and circulated via the CleanAirSIG web pages.
Participation in our e-conferences is free, and no travelling or accommodation was needed. We invited submission of short relevant papers, and we welcomed contributions (in the form of notes / questions / suggestions) during discussions.
Papers and ProceedingsRead the e-conference proceedings here or download the papers below:
July 16-17 Community projects & integrated programmes
- Exploring the potential synergies of household-based interventions to improve drinking water quality and indoor air quality by Eva Rehfuess
- Study on Indoor Air Pollution/Bangladesh by Ms Tabassum Dana
- Positive Charcoal = Negative Carbon? Why adding charcoal to the earth's soils will also address climate change by Ron Larsen
- Community matters: the Southern African experience by Philip Lloyd
July 18-19 Monitoring and evaluation
- IAP Monitoring in a Refugee Setting: The Experience of Gaia Association at Kebribeyah Refugee Camp, Eastern Ethiopia by Fiona Lambe
- Impact monitoring and interventions acquisition by Hellen Owalla
- Some thoughts on indoor air quality by Philip Lloyd
- Warning: Very large file - over 3MB. Improved Stoves as a Key Intervention to Enhance Environmental Health in the Andes by GTZ-PAHO/WHO
July 20-22-23 Technology development, commercialisation & enterprise
- Choosing technologies in the high hills of Nepal for kitchen smoke alleviation by Min Malla
- ‘Commercialisation’ of Improved Biomass Stoves for Low Income Rural Households by Priyadarshini Karve
- Parabolic Solar Cookers by Charles Oloo
- The Anagi stove – a case study and Stoves in Ulaanbaatar
July 24-25 Knowledge sharing and networking
- The role of awareness creation in igniting interest in smoke alleviating techologies; a study in mobilization and community involvement by Vincent Okello
- ARTI and their role in knowledge sharing and networking by Karabi Dutta
July 26-27 Policy action - What are the next steps?
- The Big Picture by Kirk R Smith
- Case Study: Addressing policy makers – is it useful or not? by Agnes Klingshirn
- A global clean cooking fuel initiative by José Goldemberg, Thomas B. Johansson, Amulya K.N. Reddy, Robert H. Williams
Discussion documents and resources
- Paper on a New Compact Biogas Technology by Dr.A.D.Karve, President, ARTI
- Training Module on Communication of Project Results from the TIE-ENERGIA-old? project, written by Eco Ltd?
- Getting into the Kitchen - Media strategies for research, an excellent practical guide on developing a media strategy from Panos
- Working with the Media - A guide for researchers, another excellent and practical guide on engaging with the media from Panos
Questions and CommentsEmail Liz Bates on firstname.lastname@example.org
E-Conference Evaluation ResultsRead the results of the responses to the evaluation forms here.
- StovePlus: A Study to Better Understand Cookstove Business Mo...
- GACC- New Study Estimates That Clean Cookstoves Could Reduce ...
- Practical Action's Poor People's Energy Briefing Series
- Over $600,000 released to improve productivity of Senegalese ...
- Renewable energy powers rural Nepal into the future
- Pioneers of low-carbon, climate-resilient development share p...
- Caribbean biogas company to provide energy from waste to hous...
- ESMAP develops Renewable Energy Project Resource Center with ...