Areas of Research in Energy Poverty
- Multidisciplinary approaches to policy
- Poverty and energy
- Energy and gender
- Energy and health
- !!Organizations / People
International actionThe World Bank as a key contributor in terms of finance and technical assistance is a major catalyser of action in energy policy in developing countries. The Bank has a number of programs on energy and energy policy.
Main actors at international level
- WB and IMF
- UNDP - Mainly involved in energy and poverty issues, it has a number of programs related to energy and poverty as well as household energy in developing countries.
- EU - Committed to energy in developing countries, it is especially focussed on renewable energy dissemination, with specific focus on reducing barriers to renewable energy access.
- DGIS AND DFID GTZ - Have programs on energy access in developing countries. They include knowledge programs such as research and dissemination as well as implementation programs.
- AFPREPREN - The African Energy Policy Research Network (AFREPREN/FWD) and Foundation for Woodstove Dissemination (FWD) is an NGO that brings together African energy researchers and policy makers. It has initiated policy research in 19 African countries in order to strengthen local research capacity and to harness it in the service of energy policy making and planning. Study areas over the years have included energy institutions and planning, renewable energy technologies, oil, gas, coal and gasification, energy efficiency, climate change and energy, power sector reforms, energy services for the urban poor, power sector reforms and rural energy development. Most of their publications are available on www.afrepren.org
- ERC - The Energy Research Centre, ERC is a multi-disciplinary energy research centre, housed in the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment at the University of Cape Town in South Africa. It undertakes research in energy policy and climate change. Its special focus is South Africa and Sub-Sahara Africa. It also undertakes capacity building through short courses and postgraduate Masters and PhD programs.
- ENERGIA - The international network on gender and sustainable energy (ENERGIA) contributes to the engendering of energy policy in developing countries. Recently, it has been undertaking gender audits and training of energy policy makers and related officials in gender mainstreaming in the energy policy. ENERGIA is active in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Oceania, as well as in Europe, North America and Australia. It is also involved in knowledge dissemination on gender issues through its publications including a newsletter and a resource centre.
- The Institute for Energy Economics, Fundacion Bariloche IDEE/FB, is a socio-economic and interdisciplinary research institute with specific focus on energy issues in Argentina, Latin America and developing countries. It provides technical assistance and undertakes research on energy issues in Latin America. It also conducts training including the four months - Latin American Postgraduate Course on Energy and Environment Economics and Policies as well as the Master's Program in Energy and Environment Economics and Policies -MEPEA- for professionals from public and private energy enterprises, universities, and planning organizations from all of Latin American countries.
- TERI- The Energy and Resources Institute is focused on sustainable development issues especially energy and resource use in developing countries. It research activities include technical and policy relevant energy issues, climate change and biotechnology. It also undertakes a number of projects, primarily in Asia and undertakes training.
Partner agencies include
DocumentsVictor D.G AND Thomas C.H (year)The political economy of power sector reforms: The experiences of five major developing countries. Cambridge University Press.
C.M. Shastri, C.M., Sangeetha G. and N.H. Ravindranath Dissemination of efficient
ASTRA stove: case study of a successful entrepreneur in Sirsi, India. Energy for Sustainable Development Vol. 4 No. 2 l June 2002
- An overview of Energy Policy
- Trends and History of Energy Policy
- Current Best Practice in Energy Policy
- Areas of Research in Energy Policy
Last edited by Miriam Hansen
Page last modified on Wednesday 29 of September, 2010 11:56:37 GMT. @HEDON: FYUB
- Delivering Energy for Development
- UN award presented to Carbon Clear
- Terra Watt Prize
- Pasteurizer Saves Lives in Zambia!
- East African energy access businesses to benefit from advisor...
- Founders of Envirofit International Selected as Energy and th...
- Publication GIZ India
- India Clean Cookstove Forum 2013